My idea of the Ultimate Burger changes all the time. Just when I think I found one amazing burger, I think of another. When I was presented with the opportunity to create a recipe for Healthy Solutions Spice Blends Ultimate Burger Challenge, I wanted to do something a bit different. I was downloading photos off my phone when I came across a photo I took of an LA Street Dog last month and it immediately became my inspiration for this LA Street Slider recipe! The Ultimate Burger Spice Blend is packed with the flavors of onion, garlic and peppers. I knew this would work very well in my slider recipe!
* I received a complimentary Spice Blend packet from Healthy Solutions Spice Blends to use in a recipe contest. All opinions are my own and I have not been compensated for this post.
LA Street Sliders – The Ultimate Burger Challenge
Are you familiar with LA Street Dogs? They are bacon wrapped hot dogs inspired by the ones you would find on most street corners in downtown Tijuana, Mexico. I had one at a luncheon last month in Los Angeles for the first time. Here is what they look like. I’m really not a fan of hot dogs, but this was lunch and I either tried it or had to wait several hours before dinner. I was pleasantly surprised! They are served with drizzled mayo, mustard and ketchup, but I had mine without.
LA Street Sliders – The Ultimate Burger
- 1/2 lb Ground Turkey
- 1/3 lb Ground Lean Pork
- 1 Tbsp Finely Minced Onion
- 1 tsp Healthy Solutions Ultimate Burger Spice Blend
- Hot Sauce, to taste (I used 1/2 tsp)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese or can use Pepper Jack (1-2 tsp per slider)
- 4 Strips Bacon
- 4 Small Pretzel Rolls
Peppers & Onions (Topping)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and very thinly sliced.
- 1/2 Medium Onion, very thinly sliced.
- 1-2 tsp Olive Oil, for frying
- 1/2 Block Cream Cheese (4 oz)
- 1-2 Tbsp Chopped Green Chilis
- Couple of dashes of hot sauce (to taste)
- Small Pinch of Cumin
- Small Pinch of Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat your grill to medium heat. Make sure the grate is oiled so the bacon doesn’t stick. My grill was just over 250 degrees.
Mix first 5 ingredients together and set cheese and bacon aside. Once blended, divide the meat into 4 equal portions. Shape the ground meat mixture into an oval. Create a small pocket in the center and add the cheese. Carefully seal the oval slider and wrap each with a slice of bacon.
While your grill is still heating, prepare the sauce. Mix all ingredient and blend well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Fry up your onion and peppers in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil. Once tender, remove from heat and set aside.
When fully preheated, place the sliders on your grill. Be careful to avoid any hot spots on the grill or your bacon will burn before the burger is cooked. Every couple of minutes give the sliders a 1/4 turn to ensure that all sides are browning. They should be done in 10-12 minutes.
Cut the pretzel roll as you would a hot dog bun, down one side. Add some of the sauce, lettuce if you like, then the slider. Top with the peppers and onions. Enjoy! Serve with fries on the side.
The flavor of the bacon, the creaminess of the sauce and the slight heat from the jalapeño compliment each other.
In this photograph, I prepared Alexia Crinkle Cut Seasoned Fries (frozen) in my Air Fryer. They are seasoned with salt, cracked pepper and I added cumin. They were ready in just 15 minutes without ever turning on my oven!