Oh my goodness, this dish was SO delicious. I had two portions before I even served dinner, and by then, I wasn’t hungry. I will be making this until I’m sick of it, if that ever happens. I adapted this side dish from a recipe I came across over the weekend.
Start with a head of cauliflower, cleaned and chopped into small pieces. Cook until tender. I cooked them in a stainless pot, in about 2 inches of water, covered, with a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of chopped garlic. This took about 15-20 minutes.
While the cauliflower was cooking, I fried up some real bacon bits, then cooled and drained them on some paper towel. This soaks up the excess grease and helps the bacon become crispy. Then, in the bacon drippings, I sautéed 2 chopped, seeded jalapeños.
By the time I was done, so was the cauliflower. I drained it and placed it in my Vitamix, though you could use any blender or food processor. I added the jalapeños and 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt. I pulsed until creamy. Empty into your serving bowl and add about 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Top with the bacon bits, more greek yogurt (my family thinks its sour cream) and the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
My husband is STILL raving about it!
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Garlic
- 2 Jalapeños, Chopped and Seeded
- 1/4 Cup Crispy Bacon Bits
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar, divided
* Considering this had 2 jalapeños in it, there really wasn’t any heat that I noticed. I tasted pepper, but I must have done a really good job removing the membrane and seeds. I expected “spicy” but got “flavorful” instead. Either way, I’m still happy with the result!